The Smart Load Center™ is an alternative energy and utility breaker box that can automatically select the use of utility power, solar power or another alternative power source independently for each of a number of branch circuits based on smart algorithms. The automatic selection of power uses a microcontroller to control the dynamic switching of each breaker circuit.
The Smart Load Center™ microcontroller is programmed to achieve a number of important functions:
- It maximizes the use of solar power, thereby consuming less utility power and reducing the homeowner’s electric bill.
- It keeps batteries sufficiently charged so that there is power available at night or for emergencies when the utility power goes out.
- It allows all, except big loads such as HVAC or Hot Tubs, to be useable even during a utility outage.
- It provides immediate transfer of critical loads throughout a home to a backup power source during outages or brown-outs.
The Smart Load Center™ uses today’s technology to increase efficiencies and decrease energy costs in one of the fastest growing segments of the market –Solar. We believe that we’ve eliminated any reasons for the homeowner to not pursue a solar solution.
Stephen Burnett – Chairman, Koolbridge Solar, Inc.
Smart Load Center™ – Current Status
The Smart Load Center™currently undergoing validation at Underwriters Laboratories for use in both the US and Canada. It has passed UL tests for Automatic Electrical Controls for Household or Similar Use and is undergoing additional tests as both a load center and transfer switch. A select group of installers will have access to alpha test units which will have the following functionality:
- Support for up to sixteen 20 amp circuits
- Surface or sub-surface installation between 16” o.c. studs
- Configurable prioritization of branch circuits
- Support for off-grid/grid isolated solar/battery/inverter installations
- Support for generator installations
- Onboard and personal computer based configuration
- Manual configuration of power caps for each power source
- Collection of voltage, current and energy data by branch circuit
Alpha test units will be software upgradeable as enhancements become available such as:
- Support for grid-tie topology
- Dynamic power caps based on alternative energy production
- Time of use utility caps
- Maximum off and minimum on-times for refrigerators and freezers
Alpha test units will support add on modules as they become available such as:
- High current/dual pole expansions
- Heat pump signal intercept and coordination
Koolbridge Solar Smart Load Center™ Testing in Process
A Koolbridge Solar embedded software engineer tests the Smart Load Center™ for
circuit by circuit switching capabilities.